ABOUT ME

I have invited you to let me tell you about Tom, my amazing friend of the feline specie. Love for the feline specie comes from the story of Peter Rabbit and Mr. Mcgregor wherein the white tabby is grooming herself by a pool of water. Later I collected insects and rocks growing up to becoming a chemist with a major oil company and later a college chemistry instruc-tor. Moving to other cities, family, etc. I lost contact with that field. Among other things, I have performed as a singer, speaker, museum docent, book recorder, newspaper reader for the blind; worked to establish a lighting business and got a mas-ters degree in radio/tv production and performance. My latest work is writing popular fiction, novels. I will try to entertain with stories about Tom and what I've learned about cats.

WELCOME

This is for all of you who love cats, who live with one, or more,. It is also for those of you who value friendship and enjoy the company of others. I welcome you into my life, about my cat and me. It may be we have other like interests and special loves than cats and friendship, be-cause I like to share, at times, some special insights, or some degree of enlightenment that may spring upon me. So, please join me for a little part of your day.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tom has been most affectionate lately.  Just before Thanksgiving my back spasmed, and I had a dreadful night.  Maybe you know such nights when you are so uncomfortable you just can't find a way to relax and drift into that glorious sleep which must keep you smiling in contentment all night long.  It was the day before Thanksgiving, and I planned to call and cancel my part in the family plans for dinner.  Before I could move, the phone rang.  My daughter had to tell me she could not get time off for Christmas, except for the one day. As she lives in Texas, she couldn't come to Oklahoma and get back to Texas in one dayto go to work and still enjoy Christmas.  "Well, I won't make it to Thanksgiving dinner," I moaned.  Back to bed to try again for a few minutes of sleep.  The phone rang again.  My chiropractor concerned about considerable tightness at my last visit.  He is thoughtful, calling frequently to check on my status.  (He even visits his patients when they are in the hospital for any other purpose.) 

After doing my best to state the symptons I had suffered without sounding too "done in", he instructed me to come in the following Monday for another back check -- like a booster shot.  Back to bed just to be quiet and try to sleep.  As the day went on, I succeeded in putting in three naps and felt better by evening and prepared myself a light meal.  During the dayTom curled up at my back during the naps and jumped on my lap when I got up to sit for a while. 

Now Tom knows my bed is off limits for him.  But when I lie down any time during the day (these times are most infrequent) he knows.  He has a strong psychic sense.  I can count any low number, and he will find me and climb over me, often shoving his head under my empty hand to have his jaws and chin rubbed.  But eventually, without response from me, will back up against my back and curl up and vibrate.  Tom's purr is a steady vibration and a suggestion of a real purr.  Whydon't I shove him off then?  Because, I don't want to wake up enough to expend the effort.

The end result of that experience was that Thanksgiving morning, having slept some more during the night, I felt much better, only slightly weak, but not too much to attend our traditional get-together.  The one I go out of town to the home of another of my children.  Christmas they come to me.  For Tom's part, he has followed up by continuing his affectionate attention.  When I sit down to do something, he is there for my lap.  That includes work at the computer and his paw reaching for my right hand typing.  I can't resist taking his paw, holding it loosely.  He lets me hold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment