ABOUT ME

I have invited you to let me tell you about Tom, my amazing friend of the feline specie. Love for the feline specie comes from the story of Peter Rabbit and Mr. Mcgregor wherein the white tabby is grooming herself by a pool of water. Later I collected insects and rocks growing up to becoming a chemist with a major oil company and later a college chemistry instruc-tor. Moving to other cities, family, etc. I lost contact with that field. Among other things, I have performed as a singer, speaker, museum docent, book recorder, newspaper reader for the blind; worked to establish a lighting business and got a mas-ters degree in radio/tv production and performance. My latest work is writing popular fiction, novels. I will try to entertain with stories about Tom and what I've learned about cats.

WELCOME

This is for all of you who love cats, who live with one, or more,. It is also for those of you who value friendship and enjoy the company of others. I welcome you into my life, about my cat and me. It may be we have other like interests and special loves than cats and friendship, be-cause I like to share, at times, some special insights, or some degree of enlightenment that may spring upon me. So, please join me for a little part of your day.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

 
 
"Tom", a Common Tabby, but a Noble Cat

WELCOME

This is for all of you who love cats, who live with one, or more,.  It is also for those of you who value friendship and enjoy the company of others.  I welcome you into my life, about my cat and me.  It may be we have other like interests and special loves than cats and friendship, be-cause I like to share, at times, some special insights, or some degree of enlightenment that may spring upon me.  So, please join me for a little part of your day.

 
 
Tom came to me as the third owner, or mistress of ythis feline.  His first owner was a man who had to move away and gave him to my daughter, who gave him to me when she was going through a divorce.  The first thing he did when let loose in my house was go into the open fire-place and climb up out of sight into the chimney.  He did not come down out of there, although my daughter called and called him.  Time elapsed.  We called a chimney sweep service, and got only the answering service.  We left a message.  Pardon our ignorance as to what the construc-tion of the inside of a chimney is.  We thought Tom might be trapped in a space he could not get down from.  The dark of night descended and no Tom appeared.  Day arrived.  We went out on an errand.  Tom came out from the fireplace covered in black soot and ran upstairs and under a bed with a white lace spread that touched the floor, leaving a black path on the white lace. 

I dragged him out from under the bed and took him to the nearest fawcett to clean off the soot.  The chimney service called and received an explanation of the previous night's call. 

Before I solved the problem, Tom had entered the chimney two more times the same weekend.  My daughter left the classic tuxedo tabby in his new home, and the first thing I did, after intro-ducing him to food and water was to go out on a Monday morning and buy a firplace screen that fit against the brickwork of the fireplace and duct tape it to the bricks on both sides.  I had to place the fan-shaped brass cover in front of that.  Tom jumped on the hearth and looked it over carefully, but could not devise a way into the opening to jump up onto some ledge inside.  I often wonder how high the ledge was in the chimney.  For a while he looked for some dark place to go to, but in a week or two he adjusted to his new home and gradually stopped paying attention to the fireplace.  Much more followed.




No comments:

Post a Comment